NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:27:07 -0500
This affects most of southern Ontario although Toronto and areas east of it
are worse because of pollution created locally (and a westerly air flow).
Southern Ontario is about .25-.35 of the total land mass of the province.
Most of Ontario is just rocks, trees and lakes.

Ground level ozone occurs when sunlight strikes auto exhaust pollution. The
roads around Toronto are just clogged with vehicles, particularly trucks.
Hence a great deal of exhaust. I noticed a correlation between my health
and pollution about 15 years ago. But there were days with high levels of
pollution but no reaction on my part. That suggested a subset of
pollutants. My problem has been getting worse (extreme tiredness as if I
wasn't breathing enough oxygen). Coincidentally, ground level ozone has
been increasing. I'm wondering if there is a tie-in.

The Province of Ontario has joined a lawsuit originated by the State Of NY
against power plants in the Ohio Valley that don't meet EPA standards.
About 50% of local pollution comes from the US, and is primarily created by
these power plants. These plants were given a reprieve because they were
supposed to be shut down. Many years have passed and they are still in
production. So NY has began a court action to get them cleaned up or shut
down. It's sad but true that politicians are more worried about jobs than
whether someone should live or die (pollution & smoking are two prime
examples). Ontarians are not angels in this regard either. But the
political pressure is growing and even our right wing provincial government
is starting to react by requiring cars to pass emission tests. Ironically,
previous centrist and left wing governments did absolutely nothing -- go
figure!). Then you find out that SUVs and trucks don't have the same
Federal clean air standards as cars. Guess which vehicles are selling like
hot cakes and now surpass cars in sales? You got it - light trucks & SUVs.
It makes you want to cry. The Federal Government is talking about mandating
emission standards as high or higher than California. Here's hoping.....
but I won't hold my breath.

On a lighter note, there was an LA comedian who said that he didn't trust
air he couldn't see! He'd feel at home here. However, Southern CA is worse
than Toronto. I've visited there many times and my youngest daughter is in
graduate school in Long Beach. Their car exhaust problem is monumental. I'm
sure ground level ozone must be terrible. Therefore, I couldn't live there
even though it has great weather year round.

I hope you don't mind the overly long reply and some soap-box oratory!

Don