Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 23:43:37 -0800
7bit
From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Ryo Imamura wrote:

My son's 200 MMX system has a PS fan that sometimes takes a
little nudge
to get going.  Once it gets going, it runs normally.  Would it be
OK to
squirt it with a little WD-40 or other lubricant?

sigh Mr. Imamura, It is my opinion that you should advise your
son to either replace the power supply or the fan. Recently on
this list, we discussed the possibility of a computer fire that
may have been caused by this sort of thing.

If a better fan is available, replace the fan. One with bearings
would be best. This would present the least problems. An over
heating power supply, mixed with the lint it inhales is a
potential fire hazard.

If worse come to worse, replacing the power supply is an
inexpensive insurance policy.

I cam close to such a happening which I shared in a previous
post. Please sir, be safe. A life may depend upon it.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka

                                  -----