NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
explorer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:56:51 +0000
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:29:07 -0400 Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>  Okay, well the
> >past week he's been exhibiting symptoms of the allergy.  I know he hasn't
> >eaten anything he shouldn't.  I've been told that he can develop a
> >reaction to the Rice Dream, because of the frequency in which he drinks
> >it.  So, now I've got two things  to do.  First, figure out what is
> >causing the reaction.  Second, find a new source of calcium if it is the
> >Rice Dream.

Mark,

I am sure a lot of people on the No Milk list already know this, but
since many of you are new, maybe it would be worth mentioning again that
I am on the Celiac Mailing List as well, and Rice Dream is notorious for
containing gluten, i.e. their brown rice is washed with barley enzymes
and barley is a gluten containing grain.  Many cases of milk
allergy/intolerance are brought on after the intestinal villi have been
compromised by a wheat/gluten allergy/intolerance and since the villi
then have impaired absorption, then it also becomes difficult to produce
the enzymes that digest lactose, whey and/or casein.  I would try a
wheat elimination diet.  I went through the same thing.  Drank Rice
Dream and ate frozen Rice Dream for years thinking it was gluten and
dairy free only to have one relapse after another.  I think the company
should be taken to task over thir labeling misinformation, leading
people to believe that their product just contains brown rice when in
fact, it also contains barley.  Pacific Brown Rice Beverage is great.
It is a little more watery, but shake it good, and it is better than
walking around like a zombie.

explorer