From:
Barbara Emch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:55:13 EDT

Hi Everyone,

After reading the summary for Gluten intolerance vs. Celiac, one of the
respondents mentioned that if a person has DH, then they would not test
positive for Celiac, but only positive for a skin biopsy.  This was not true
in my case as I had a positive skin biopsy for DH, went on the gluten free
diet, and two years later after only a nine day gluten challenge, was biopsied
intestinally for Celiac and found to be positive for subclinical celiac sprue.
In addition the IgA antigliadin antibody test was a weak positive so even the
blood test showed Celiac disease.

I was glad that I was biopsied for Celiac as it made my gluten sensitivity
more real to me and improved my compliance on the diet immeasurably.  I think
many DH sufferers are not as careful on the diet as they have several
medications that can help their skin condition but in the meantime, they are
still harming themselves by occasional gluten ingestion.

If anyone else has been biopsied intestinally as well as by skin biopsy and
you'd like to share your story with me, please write, and I'll summarize.

Thanks for listening,

Barb from NE Ohio