From:
Betsy Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:19:13 EDT

 This is the first summary I have ever done, so hopefully this will work!

I rec'd the following suggestions about bone pain:

From:   [log in to unmask] (Rosalie Peipert)

I would be interested about this subject too. I have aches and pains but
am not at all sure it is related to CD.  My internist who I used
previously thought it was related to my food allergies and leaky gut
syndrome.  Sounded plausable to me.
Please summarize. Thanks.  Rosalie P NJ

From:   LBoomer

I had this problem and found it greatly improved with calcium supplements.
When I was drinking lots of milk it didn't seem to help.  Linda in Iowa

From:   MYMISTY102

I have had celiac sprue for, I don't actually know how many years, but I have
been gluten free for 15 years. I have severe osteoporosis, but in the last 6-8
months I have been experiencing excruciating bone pain. I went to the Dr. last
week to try and get some answers, but as usual I don't know anymore now than
when I went. I now have all the symptoms of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue
syndrome, and lupus, I had blood work done but no results yet. I have been
doing some research and have found this search engine to be one of the best
for finding info. I hope it will help you some!  I wish I had some answers for
you but as of right now I am just like you, puzzled over what is happening.

Good luck and I hope you will be able to find some answers.

Patricia

From:   [log in to unmask] (Rich and Joyce)

I am not sure what you mean by bone pain but I have been on the diet since
1990 and stay on the diet in a strict fashion.....I was having pain in my
legs the last year or so and it wasn't from standing on my feet....I had an
office job.....I also would get sharp pains in my second toe at the
tip....so did my mom and my daughter which we thought was strange.....my
dtgr. seems like she has the same celiac symptons as me and tries to stay
on the diet also......we would have to rub the pain out of the toe.....
started taking tums for the calcium and have switched since to a calcium
tablet.....surprise, I have had no leg aches since taking the tums plus now
the calcium nor have I had sharp pains on the tip of my toe since.  I also
just lately started taking a multi vitamin, vit.E and B complex vitamin
nearly every day....I sometimes forget to take daily but I feel fine and I
truly believe it is the calcium.....I am not sure if this helps or not but
I wish you well and hope things work out for you soon......God bless,
Joyce from Ashtabula, O

From:   [log in to unmask]

For what it's worth, my experience regarding bone pain:  Immediately
following my release from a month's hospital stay, during which I was
finally diagnosed with CD, the internist treating me ordered IV vitamin
injections of A, D, Bs, and K.  With that help, and religiously
consuming only gluten-free food, supplements, and drugs, within a few
months the bone pain was gone.

There have been a few times that I accidentally ingested glutens and the
bone pain returned.  Additionally, I also continued to experience severe
muscle pain until a diagnosis of fibromyalgia was reached.  Since then
I've been on Elavil for the muscle pain, which has helped that pain
immensely!

Of course, I spend about $150 per month on vitamin and mineral
supplements and try to eat the healthiest I possibly can!  One of the
most helpful I take is a crystal potion that comes in a box of 36
envelopes - it is called "EMER-GEN C" and each envelope contains 1,000
mgs of C in addition to a lot of other vitamins, minerals, etc.  On the
occasions that I experience cramping in my legs at night, if I get up
and take an EMER-GEN C it helps enough that I can return to sleep.  (In
Anchorage, Alaska this can be found in the health food section of two of
the local grocery stores as well as most of the health food stores.)

Good luck, and I hope you get some help for the bone pain, soon!

     Bobbie in Anchorage, Alaska.

From:   [log in to unmask] (C. Hammelrath)

I had a LOT of bone pain until I started on Fosamax and now have normal bone
mineral density = and no bone pain.

----my thanks to all who wrote.