From:
"Barnett, Sarah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:05:47 -0400

Because many of you who read yesterday's Erivan Acidophilus Yogurt email
asked me to send the recipe for the soup that I mentioned, I decided to
send it to the entire list.

MINTY CUCUMBER SOUP - 6 Portions

7       Small Cucumbers, peeled, halved and seeded
1       Clove garlic, minced
2       Cups chicken stock or canned broth
3       Cups plain low-fat yogurt (the Erivan Acidophilus is not low
fat, and I doubt that it matters)
2       Tsp. salt
1       Tsp. ground (white, if available) pepper
1 1/4  Cups fresh mint leaves
1       Tsp. fresh lemon juice

3        radishes, fine chopped, for garnish
6        springs mint, for garnish

Cut 6 of the 7 cucumbers into 1inch pieces.  Cut the remaining cucumber
into 1/4 inch dice and reserve, covered in the refrigerator.

Combine 6 cucumbers and the garlic in a food processor and process 30+
seconds.  Add the chicken stock, yogurt, salt, (white) pepper, 3/4 cup
of the mint leaves and lemon juice.  Process until smooth.  [Pass the
mixture through a food mill or fine strainer into a mixing bowl.  (I did
not bother to do this.)]

Coarsely chop the remaining 1/2 cup mint leaves and fold them into the
soup.  Chill, covered for 3 hours or more (over night is best for the
flavors to mingle and to become thoroughly chilled).

Garnish individual bowls of soup with radishes (chopped), reserved diced
cucumber and spring of mint.  (This looks lovely, however if you haven't
time to do this, or forget and put everything into the soup in the
beginning, don't worry, it will taste just, sometimes better.)

Enjoy  Sarah in Washington, D.C.