From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:17:44 -0700

Joan wrote:  When I asked him to check for wheat and gluten he looked at
me as if I were nuts and told me these things were not contained in any
medications.  <snip>

It seems silly, but many people do not know what constitutes *gluten*.
Some people have reported pharmacists looking for the ingredient (word)
"gluten" in the ingredient lists!

SO-- you need to give them the details.... "Wheat, Rye, Barley & Oats"
The big Ah Ha! for the pharmacist.... (oat is a commonly used "inert
ingredient" or binder).

A few other things you can do........

* Ask your doctor to write "MUST BE GLUTEN FREE"  on all prescriptions.

* Ask the pharmacy to put  *ALLERGIC TO GLUTEN* or something like that
in your records/file.
You can explain it is more than an "allergy" but an auto-immune
disorder, and yes, even trace elements in a small pill can (and does)
cause a severe reaction.

I so wish the national groups would focus on getting the FDA to require
proper labeling in this regard for foods,  OTC & prescription drugs.
This is considered the "information age" but it's tough when pharmacists
are without a clue about the inert ingredients....
(which are not so inert for many people with all kinds of allergies).

They only have the ingredients that the FDA requires them to disclose on
their database.... the inert ingredients are not required, and they do
not have to be the same in every batch or lot code. If Oats are cheaper
than corn at any given time, the manufacturer can switch.

IF the FDA *required* them to disclose, they could easily have this info
in the already existing database. Then your pharmacist would not look at
you like an alien from another planet & hand you a phone number to call
the manufacturer & find out for yourself.

It takes some effort, and establishing a rapport w/ your pharmacist.....
but it is time well spent because SOMEONE needs to be accountable for
the safety of a med.
Remember-- this is not just ANY clerk-- you are dealing with a person
who is licensed to dispense controlled substances! If they give you a
hard time, remind them that they are a licensed professional, and ask
them for their help.

It is harder for the doctor to have all the details on meds..... but the
pharmacist really should.... that IS their business & profession.

We are the pioneers in this sense, but I won't accept a pharmacist
handing me a phone number to call for myself (on a prescription drug).
To somehow still be pleasant, yet firmly assertive is your task.

 YOU have the license to dispense, it's your job to find out if it is
safe....Doctor's orders!

Fran
<stepping off soap box now> but this is an issue I think needs to be
dealt with, so they can dispense safe meds.

Crisp * Sunny * Cool * Oregon * USA