VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 07:14:06 -0600
Chaim,

It sounds like the best idea yet was to personally talk to other blind
persons here in chicago who are doing or have done similar work.  This is
similar to learning and using technology.  the company may also benefit
from speaking to these managers and learning what worked for these
employers.  Pulling the trigger on the law often leads to blurred and
uneven results, although it is sometimes necessary.  There are better
forums for this kind of dialogue.  One of the best is the ada-law list.
I was on it a few years ago and found it to be *very helpful in expanding
my understanding of how this law applies to particular situations and why
or why not.  The list was both fun and quite and educational experience.

A list that can be quite serious is the blindlaw list, sponsored by the
national Federation of the blind.  Also, check out the blindjob and
ablejob mailing lists, which are both excellent places for a deep
discussion about concerns such as this.  To learn more about these lists
and how to subscribe, check out Gregory's camera Obscura web site and
blist documentation.

If you want a live body to ask questions, please call the ADA technical
Assistance Center at the University of Illinois.  they are quite
knowledgeable abut the law and give excellent guidance.  they also have
the eeoc guidelines and technical assistance manual available in
alternative formats.  I cant't find the number right now, but send an
e-mail and I'll look it up.  they not only serve the state of Chicago
<grin>, but the rest of illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, indiana, Ohio,
and Michigan.

good luck and I am sure you will find these resources more focused and
helpful than what we are able to do here.

kelly