From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:10:20 -0600
Dean Riddle wrote:

> At 03:21 AM 11/26/98 GMT, you wrote:
> >After setting the CMOS correctly, and replacing ribbon cables, floppy
> >drives, and using various disks, both A and B [1.44mb] floppy drives
> >begin to run an 'exe.' file, but after a couple of seconds--hang up.
> >
> Is the second floppy set by jumper as a secondary floppy? Haven't done this
> myself, just know from reading that it must be done.

Could someone clarify this, please? This is the first that I've heard
about floppy drives having jumpers or caring whether they are primary
(A:) or secondary (B:).

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to install a second 3.5" floppy
drive in a friend's system, but as soon as I connect the power cable it
refuses to boot. I've already swapped the drive with another new one,
and tried it with and without the data cable connected, but it won't
boot ANYTIME the second floppy's power cable is connected. In fact, the
system won't boot even if that floppy is the ONLY drive connected. The
system is only 6 months old, and also has a Samsung 4.3 GB drive, a WD
6.4 GB drive, and a 24x BTC CD-ROM drive, in addition to the
floppy(ies). I'm not sure of the capacity of the ATX P/S.

Ideas? The next time I get over there, I'll check that the power cable
is wired properly, but other than that I'm temporarily stumped. I
figured removing power from both hard drives and the CD-ROM would remove
the possibility of a weak P/S, right?

Jeff Delzer

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html