From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:09:01 -0800
On  2 Dec 98 at 6:08, Sami Al-Mohssen wrote:

> i just bought a K6-2 333MHZ with a motherboard based on VIA MVP3
> chipset. i have the following questions:
>
> 1. is there a way to normak 66MHZ SDRAM instead of the 100MHZ.
> right know the BUS is running @95MHZ. but i think the cpu will work
> even if i change the bus speed to 66MHZ (and change the multiblier
> jumper of course)

  Well, 333 is 5x66, so that setting *might* work.  Yes, if you run
the system bus at 66 MHz, your RAM doesn't need to be certified for
100 MHz.  I wouldn't go out and buy new RAM that wasn't certified
PC100, but this can give you an option to continue to use memory you
already own.

> 2. What it the best speed i am likely to get if i ever plan to
> overclock the CPU (the multiplier  has the ability of going up to
> 5.5).

  I hear that the reason that the 3.5x95 MHz = 333 exists is that a
lot of chips intended to be K6-2/350 aren't quite managing to run
stable on 100 MHz.
  Historically, there have been cases like this where you could have
got lucky, where your lower-speed chip might not have actually
flunked at higher speed, depending on market demand and pricing.  But
that might not apply in this case.
  I believe that if the current generation of K6-2 chips had much
overclocking potential beyond 350 MHz, the 333 would never have been
introduced.  So I figure your odds of overclocking any further than
that are pretty poor.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html