From:
"KABLE,Stephen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:33:38 +1000
Hi

My grandfather has an old computer with a (Ritron?) 486DX-4 66mhz
motherboard and a EGA video card and monitor (due to it being a bits and
pieces machine that was thrown together to monitor electronic equipment).
It uses DOS only at the moment and works well.

He wants to install Win95 on it to bring it into line with other machines he
has, and has to replace the EGA video card and monitor with a VGA card and
monitor which we bought second hand (Trident tvga8900d).  The monitor works
fine on the other machines he has.

However, when we remove the EGA card and monitor and install the VGA card
and monitor we just get a blank screen and the machine does not boot (no HD
activity).  I have also tried the video cards from the other machines, that
I know to be working, with the same result.

Would somebody be able to tell me whether the EGA/VGA mode is motherboard
dependent or switch dependent or not.  The bios said ' video mode VGA/EGA'
so I thought this would be OK and that it would be picked up by the bios
automatically.  I guess I was wrong.

Please help.  Information on this sort of topic on the WWW is virtually
non-existent (no pun intended).

Thanks

Steve Kable.

                                  -----