From:
Elsie Steinwachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:54:13 -0700
>the known genetic
>studies that document metabolic differences between Inuit and
>other populations (I have posted abstracts of some of them
>recently, so there's no need to do so again), and the
>fact--mentioned in Neanderthin--that Inuit on a Western diet have
>rates of diabetes that is considerably higher than that of
>Westerners.  Even without the genetic studies, that fact alone is
>strong evidence that the Inuit are genetically less adapted to
>Western diet and therefore metabolically different.

Having lived for long periods among Pacific Islanders and American Indians,
I have come to the conclusion that everyone who is not somehow acclimated
to the Western Diet ends up victimized by it.  The levels of diabetes,
amputations and misery among older persons in assimilated people are
incredible.  Of course, we don't know if they lived as long before the
Western Diet became available, and we can't check their condition back then.

Patty ([log in to unmask])