From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 18:12:26 -0400
On Mon, 19 May 1997, John C. Pavao wrote:

> Personally, I think that doing the best you can has got to be better than
> saying, "oh well, it's all contaminated, so we're screwed".

I agree, but I have to wonder whether the best we can may have to
involve some "counter-technology."

For example, Peat recommends regular ingestion of coconut oil, to
counteract the effects of the toxic PUFAs.  Coconut oil was
certainly not available to all paleolithic peoples, but then
perhaps they didn't need it, because their animal fats were not
contaminated by heavy grain-feeding.  Grant mentioned the idea
discussed in Protein Power of marinating cuts of beef in wine and
olive oil.  This (in addition to being expensive) is clearly not
paleo-tech, but it may be necessary, along with vitamin E
supplementation.

> Is it truly physiologically possible for the fat of an animal to be
> contaminated by a vegetable oil it ingested?  I shouldn't think that any of
> it would make it intact to the animal's fat deposits.

This is the key question, of course.  Is Ray Peat a crank, or is
he onto something?  I don't know enough about fat metabolism to
answer the question.  Peat is definitely going against the grain
(ahem) of current received opinion, though.

Todd Moody