NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:58:24 EDT
I am hoping someone can help me understand what is happening to me.  I have an
allergy to mold and usually I just get itchy eyes, sneezing and a sinus
headache.  My bedroom is in the basement, and smells strongly of mold.  I
spent the day cleaning down there and felt bad with tightness in my chest.
That night when I went to bed my throat started to hurt and I had trouble
swallowing.  I went upstairs and found my neck to be swollen and breathing was
becoming difficult.  I took an antihistamine and it enabled me to breathe
easily again.
In the past, I have only had this reaction to ingesting mold, ie bleu cheese.
Is this considered anaphalaxis?  I have not gone back downstairs to my bedroom
since and have had to take antihistamines several times a day or my chest
starts to tighten.
I am going to give up dairy; dh and children have a dairy allergy.
I am scared.  Do I now have to live in fear of my windpipe closing up and
dying when exposed to mold?  And how do I get rid of the mold in my house?
Any comments would be appreciated.  TIA.
Kim