AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:27:53 -0600
If in a hurry skip the first two longer paragraphs:

It appears to me that ALA is a colossus with many heads and gazillions
of tentacles. What happens at one end of this body tends to go unnoticed
elsewhere. While advocacy pertaining to disability issues has been
happening in some parts of the body, it does not easily penetrate into
other layers or sections. Just two examples: (1) Despite the fact that
the "Library Services for People with Disabilities Policy," which was
recently approved by the ALA Council, calls for universal design of
online resources, web pages leading to ACRL's electronic publications
(e-Pubs Corner and e-Learning Webcasts) contain major access barriers.
(2) The ACRL Distance Education Guidelines continue to fail to address
the needs of all potential beneficiaries.

As information resources and library services migrate online, one of our
major current concerns is the creation of a fully inclusive virtual
environment. Currently, this concern is addressed by relative small
segments within the professional library community. In a way, the
discourse about disability-related issues is segregated. We have to find
ways to get it into the mainstream. (Of course, this goes not only for
ALA but also for other contexts: the professional literature,
conferences, professional development and our daily activities/decisions
in the library.)

A concerted effort sounds great!  Does anyone familiar with the workings
of ALA (not I!) have any suggestions about suitable strategies? How,
other than through conference presentations (which tend to draw an
audience from the choir), can we bring our concerns for a fully
inclusive online environment into the mainstream?

Axel

Axel Schmetzke
Library
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point