VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:42:30 -0500
From: "Nick Danger" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Access L" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 4:36 PM
Subject: news special from ZDNet and Symantec

Special to ZDNet News

January 2, 2002 3:18 PM PT

A pair of popular file-sharing programs have become privacy time bombs,
according to computer experts.

Antivirus company Symantec last week

reported

the presence of "spyware" bundled with Grokster and Limewire, two
popular file-swapping downloads. The code evidently does not damage
computers, but it

surreptitiously sends personal information such as user ID names and the
Internet address of computers to another Web address.

Advertising software called "Clicktilluwin" that comes bundled with the
file-swapping programs carries a program called "W32.DIDer," which
Symantec has

classified as a Trojan horse--a piece of code that takes over parts of a
person's computer unseen in order to carry out its own instructions.

 frame

 frame end

Although unrelated advertising programs are routinely bundled with free
file-swapping programs--and have prompted some user criticism in the
past--this

appears to be the first time one of them has included a program
classified as a Trojan horse by security experts.

The Trojan horse software installs itself even if a computer user
selects an option that appears to block Clicktilluwin's installation.
For this reason,

antivirus companies are warning people to scan their computers after
installing these products to ensure the code is removed.

On the heels of the Symantec warning, some consumers complained of
similar problems with FastTrack's Kazaa Media Desktop. CNET News.com
could not duplicate

the problem in a test of that product Wednesday.

A spokesman for Limewire said the version with Clicktilluwin included
had been replaced with a clean version by Tuesday.

"It was not what we thought this was," said Greg Bildson, Limewire's
chief technical officer. "It was supposed to be a promotional tool...not
blatant spyware."

Grokster has gone one step further, apologizing and providing its users
with a

program

that will remove the offending bits of code from personal computers

"We have no access to the source code of these third-party installers
and so we rely on what our advertisers say these programs do," the
company wrote on

its Web site Wednesday. "Now that we have learned of the Trojan, we are
doing everything we can to minimize its impact on our users."

Because software programs are among the most popular downloads on the
Net, the Trojan horse could potentially find its way onto a large number
of computers.

Kazaa, for example, is one of the most popular pieces of software
available through CNET Download.com, a site operated by News.com's
parent company, with

more than 1.3 million downloads in the last week of December alone.

Bitter warnings about the code spread through consumer bulletin boards
on several different Web sites last week.

"Make sure you have a good virus utility if you must install this," one
person wrote on Download.com's Grokster reviews.

Related Quotes