VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:35:05 -0600
This is not me, the Internet is my news and info source and a key for
access.

kelly

the New York Times

February 16, 2000

Portrait of a Newer, Lonelier Crowd Is Captured in an Internet Survey

By JOHN MARKOFF

     SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 15 -- The nation's obsession with the Internet
     is causing many Americans to spend less time with friends and
     family, less time shopping in stores and more time working at home     after hours, according to one of the first large-scale surveys of
     the societal impact of the Internet.

                                                                 [INLINE]

     In short, "the more hours people use the Internet, the less time
     they spend with real human beings," said Norman Nie, a political
     scientist at Stanford University who was the principal investigator
     for the study.

     Mr. Nie asserted that the Internet was creating a broad new wave of
     social isolation in the United States, raising the specter of an
     atomized world without human contact or emotion.

     That conclusion is certain to prove controversial because some
     online enthusiasts contend that the Internet has fostered
     alternative electronic relationships that may replace or even
     enhance face-to-face family and social connections.

     "This is not a zero-sum game," said Howard Rheingold, author of
     "Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier"
     (Addison-Wesley, 1993). "People's social networks do not consist
     only of people they see face to face. In fact, social networks have
     been extending because of artificial media since the printing press
     and the telephone."

     The Stanford survey, which was conducted by the university's
     Institute for the Quantitative Study of Society and will be
     published on Wednesday, appears to offer an Internet-era parallel
     to some of the findings of "The Lonely Crowd," a landmark
     sociological analysis of American society in 1950.

     The book, written by David Riesman with Nathan Glazer and Reuel
     Denney, described the changing American character and chronicled
     the shift away from family and community-centered life and the
     ascendance of mass media.

     The Stanford study, in turn, details how the Internet is leading to
     a rapid shift away from mass media. The study reported that 60
     percent of regular Internet users said they had reduced their
     television viewing, and one-third said they spent less time reading
     newspapers.

     Those regular users, spending at least five hours a week online,
     represented about 20 percent of those surveyed and were the group
     looked at most closely. In all, the study found that 55 percent of
     those polled had Internet access at home or work and that 43
     percent of households were online.

     And the study found evidence that the Internet was allowing the
     workplace to invade the home. A quarter of regular Internet users
     employed at least part time said the Internet had increased the
     time they spent working at home without reducing the time spent at
     work.

   "No one is asking the obvious questions about what kind of world we
   are going to live in"

     In the past Mr. Nie has been the author of studies on the decline
     of American involvement in political and community organizations.
     He said that while much of the public Internet debate had been
     focused on the invasion of privacy, little study had been done of
     the potential psychological and emotional impact of what he said
     would be more people "home, alone and anonymous."

     Mr. Nie, a co-author of the study with Prof. Lutz Erbring of the
     Free University of Berlin, contended that there was no evidence
     that virtual communities would provide a substitute for traditional
     human relationships.

     "If I go home at 6:30 in the evening and spend the whole night
     sending e-mail and wake up the next morning, I still haven't talked
     to my wife or kids or friends," Mr. Nie said. "When you spend your
     time on the Internet, you don't hear a human voice and you never
     get a hug."

     The new study was based on a sample of 4,113 adults in 2,689
     households. It is the second major research project to suggest that
     the advent of the Internet may have negative social consequences.

     In August 1998 researchers at Carnegie Mellon University reported
     that people who spent even a few hours a week connected to the
     Internet experienced higher levels of depression and loneliness.

     In contrast to the Carnegie Mellon study, which focused on
     psychological and emotional issues, the Stanford survey is an
     effort to provide a broad demographic picture of Internet use and
     its potential impact on society.

     "No one is asking the obvious questions about what kind of world we
     are going to live in when the Internet becomes ubiquitous," Mr. Nie
     said.

     "No one asked these questions with the advent of the automobile,
     which led to unplanned suburbanization, or with the rise of
     television, which led to the decline of our political parties."

     "We hope we can give society a chance to talk through some of these
     issues before the changes take place," he said.

     Americans overwhelmingly use e-mail as their most common Internet
     activity, according to the Stanford researchers.

     Moreover, the report found that most Internet users treated the
     network as a giant public library, albeit with a commercial tilt.

     Despite the general perception that the Internet has become a vast
     cybernetic shopping mall, the Stanford study indicates that only 25
     percent of the Internet users surveyed make purchases online and
     that fewer than 10 percent do other types of financial transactions
     online, like banking.

     Some critics strongly disagree with the researchers' assertion that
     the Internet is leading to a new form of social isolation.

     "It's true by definition that if you're spending more hours hitting
     the keyboard you're not spending time with other people," said
     Amatai Etzioni, a sociologist at George Washington University. "But
     people do form very strong relations over the Internet, and many of
     them are relations that they could not find any other way."

     Mr. Nie disagrees, arguing that today's patterns of Internet usage
     foretell a loss of interpersonal contact that will result in the
     kind of isolation seen among many elderly Americans.

     "There are going to be millions of people with very minimal human
     interaction," he said. "We're really in for some things that are
     potentially great freedoms but frightening in terms of long-term
     social interaction."