From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:23:06 -0600
Hello to all

I have a machine that I built from pieces and parts and gave to my son's
girlfriend so they could talk interstate via e-mail.  Here is the problem

On the original setup of the machine, I had a 486/dx2-66 Intel and unknown
motheroboard. It also has a 2.1 gig Maxtor drive(used) 24mb ram, and Win95
rel 2.5

She returned the machine to me with a recurring problem that on startup it
would give an error that the registry could not be properly read, restart to
recover from backup registry.  She would restart, with the same error
message.  Same error message in Safe Mode.

I managed to recover the system using the Microsoft Site information and the
System.1st file.

I then put in a new motherboard, and pentium 166 chip.  I ran a virus
scanner against the drive, scandisked the drive w/ surface test and found no
errors.

Now, 2 weeks later, she has just returned the machine to me with the same
problem.  Apparently the System.dat and System.da0 files are corrupted and I
will have to restore again from the system.1st file.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to why the registry should become corrupt
in this manner, and even to the point of the backup being unusable?  She has
not installed any software since I built the machine.

Any suggestion will be pursued.

Thanks

Mike Buraczewski

                            The NOSPIN Group