From:
Don Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 06:55:02 -0800
At 12:25 AM 11/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I am in the process of buying a new system.  Two questions arise.  How
>does the AMD-K6-2 compare with the Pentium II?  And the Fujitsu and
>Western Digital hard drives?  A salesman was telling me tonight that I
>will be sorry if I don't go with the Pentium II and the Fujitsu hd.  Of
>course the AMD is less expensive.  And I can get a much larger WD hd for
>the same price as a smaller Fujitsu.  Thanks for your opinions.

I've upgraded several systems in the last few months.  I originally was
using the AMD K6 233/266 chips and was impressed with their performance.
But recently I've been using the Intel Celeron 300A chips and they seem WAY
faster than these other chips and cost very little (relative of course in
the CPU world).  Granted the AMD's were a lower clock speed and not the
K6-2 version but from what I've read the K6-2 are only slightly faster than
their K6 counterparts (but better at games with 3DNOW).  I've upgraded my
personal computer with the C300A and have been happy...I've been more happy
since I've been able to overclock it to 450MHz stabily without any problems
on an ABIT BH6 (4.5 x 100 @ 2.0V).  [This is the second chip I tried this
with, the first one wouldn't do it at all.]  I'm not suggesting that you
overclock your system, but if you're into that then there's the possible
added benefit of the C300A.

As far as HD's are go, I've used both WD and Fujitsu and liked
both...although I think the Fujitsu's were normally cheaper than the WD's?
Maybe you are looking at a different version.

Another thing to consider is upgrades. You will most likely be at a dead
end with the AMD system; while the Celeron upgrade will allow you to beef
up your system to a 450MHz (+?) when the prices go down.  I hope AMD makes
it and I'm looking forward to their K7 but at this moment in time I'd go
with the Celeron for best bang for buck value.

Anyway, my $.02

Don Gray
NetCaliber Computer Services

                                  -----