From:
Matthew Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 01:22:42 -0700
>If, however, you don't have such connectibility, then I would look to either
>something like Wingate to act as the bridge/router, or perhaps Linux or
>FreeBSD with IP masquerading (Wingate and its ilk are SUBSTANTIALLY easier
>to implement).

I found a program on Tucows called SyGate, and it does the same function as
the IP masquerading to support multiple computers on a network from a
single IP address.  The nice thing about this program is that it runs on
Windows 95/98/NT, will run automatically on bootup, and routes the
information flawlessly with no funny configuration related to proxies or
the like.  All that has to be done is to have a local TCP/IP network set
up, and have the computer with SyGate on it set to be the router and DNS
server.  I have had no trouble using it with Netscape, Internet Explorer,
CuteFTP, Eudora, WinVN, ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger, America Online, and
Kali, and that is all I have tested.  It supports using a dial-up
connection or using a second LAN connection as the access to the Internet,
such as with a cable modem or the like.  It will also Dial-on-demand using
DUN, and disconnect after a specificed amount of time.  The downloadable
trial (2.0 beta 2, which I recommend over 1.21) allows you a total transfer
of 75MB of data through the server from your LAN.  It costs $49 for 3
users, $99 for 6 users, and $199 for unlimited.  You can get it at
http://www.sygate.com/ .
Matthew Ballard
Computer Consultant

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**