From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 03:12:46 -0500
Moira wrote:

> How much meat can a  5 year old digest at one sitting?
>
> My autistic son loves meat, how much is safe to give at one time? He could
> easily down a pound of ground buffalo, no problem.
>
> So far I have been giving about l/4 to l/2 pound of meat per meal, along
> with green salad w/olive oil on it, and some kind of brown rice or potato
> product.
>
> Now I am wondering about going meat only with a little fresh veggies.
>
> Thoughts?

Your son is a biological creature. He is designed to eat ONLY those
foods which are available in his natural habitat: the African savannah.
Hominids don't eat grass and inedible roots in nature. By eliminating
rice and potatoes from his diet, you bring his diet closer to the ideal,
eliminating two sources of avoidable exposure to alien proteins.

As for his craving red meat, it is only natural that a biological
creature would show tremendous liking and desire for a foodstuff which
it evolved to eat. Only his body should be considered an authority on
when he has had enough red meat. He craves it for a reason. Let him have
as much as he wants. He'll quit eating when he's satisfied the demands
of his body.

Important Caveat: Make sure that his low carbohydrate diet provides
adequate calories from fat. A low-fat/low-carbohydrate diet is
dangerous.

Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Co-author, NEANDERTHIN: A CAVEMAN'S GUIDE TO NUTRITION