From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:30:14 -0700
Lisa Sporleder wrote:

> > In the case of the hominid, it appears as if a (almost) fruitarian
> > beeing - the hominid - suddenly got the possibility to access a new
> > food resource - meat.
> Meat consumtion in Primates is reflected in their upper to lower gut
ratios.  Those designed to eat the most meat have the shortest lower
intestines.  Among non-hominid Primates baboons in the old world and
capuchins (organ grinder monkeys) have the shortest lower intestines and
have been shown in field studies to eat the most animal products.  They
also have the most human-like hands (far more so than any of the apes).
These hands are necessary when your food is trying to get away from you.

Human lower intestines are very short when compared to even these meat
eating monkeys.  They are much closer to those of dogs.

Gut morphology is covered by two references in my bibliography.  I also
suggest you check out the chart on pages 44-45 of Voegtlin's "The Stone
Age Diet".  Perhaps Don Wiss could post it on the paleodiet page as we
have permission from the author's family.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander