Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:30:19 -0500
Hello Amadeus!

A English scientist by the name of Crawford has written a book on how diet
may have shaped evolution.
I met him when he came to speak locally.

He has compared brain size relative to overall body size and the presence of
certain fatty acids (derived from omega-3).
He found humans and squirrels to have the highest. This is not to suggest we
should eat squirrel brains! Squirrels are very resourceful and intelligent
compared to their brain size. Has anyone seen the video shows of how they
find their way through mazes and obstacles to get to a bird feeder?
Squirrels obviously synthesize their DHA from nuts.

Human breast milk also has that fatty acid, but cow milk is deficient.

Dr. Crawford advocates use of fish for omega-3; I feel this is partly
because he is also affiliated with world fishery organizations. I asked him
about flax seed and he said it was ok. I personally think it is very risky
to eat fish, especially nowadays.
There is a variety of plankton that has the DHA (that is where the fish get
theirs).

There are a small fraction of population (no numbers available) whose bodies
cannot synthesize DHA from Omega-3 EFA.

Mahesh [log in to unmask]