From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 01:02:22 -0400
C. Loon wrote:

> But the next time a deep ecologist attacks our paleodiet habits, maybe we
> could enlighten them on the very close link between deep ecology and Nazi
> policy).
>
> Cheyenne

Cheyenne,  my impression is that deep ecology  includes an articulation of H/G
ethics.  Take what you require for vital needs;  live lightly on the earth;
non-human life has intrinsic value:  The other side of this coin is that h/g's are
also part of the food chain (see Doug Peacock's book, Grizzly Years).  Have you
read Edward Abbey,  a deep ecologist to the core  in the braod sense of the term
but a true juicy steak afficianado!    The following passages from Capra's The Web
of Life may be helpful:
          "Deep ecological awareness recognizes the fundamental interdependence of
all phenomena and the fact that, as individuals and societies, we are all embedded
in (and ultimately dependent on) the cyclical processes of nature....Deep ecology
recognizes the intrinsic value of all living beings and views humans as just one
particular strand in the web of life."    Also,  "The philosophical school was
founded by Norwegian philosopher Arne Naess in the early 1970's  with his
distinction between "shallow" and"deep" ecology."
    While we cannot all hunt the 'burbs with  a falcon as Ray does,  we can look
to the literature of deep ecology for philosophical support for paleo diet
principles.  Now,  I do not mean to naively imply that the study of H/G's  does
not also reveal wasting of animals in some instances such as the oft-cited tactic
of running whole herds off a cliff but I like to think that a reverent attitude
toward the primary food sources is not just a romantic fantasy.  Our Cro-magnon
ancestors had the same capacity for abstraction that we do and the paleo cave
paintings may be a reflection of the "deep" awareness of the artist that the
depicted animals were worthy of appreciation as well as sources for the next
feast.
    While I am no authority on this philosophy,  I was quite surprised at  your
observation re the "link."
    Which deep ecologist is attacking "our paleo diet habits?"  If Daniel Quinn
(Ishmael) is in some sense a deep ecologist,  the  paleo approach would not a find
a much more ardent critic of agribusiness and the associated population issues.
Rick