Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 07:58:50 -0700
Nieft / Secola wrote:
> I don't mean to sound combative but, generalizing your (or Steffanson's
>or the Tutsi's) relative thriving on an extremely high meat diet to the
>whole of humanity approaches arrogance--especially from someone who
>claims to have fresh OJ daily.

Maybe it's genetic (see brother Michael's posts) or maybe it's because
I'm a Texan (yes, it really is bigger).  But just as the principle health
threat to the pastoral Tutsi are agrarian Hutus, I have had to struggle
against the forces of Kellogg for many years (as did Stefansson-also
known for his arrogance).

My point was that an all meat diet is not as abnormal historically as the
year round proliferation of fresh fruits and vegetables in the modern
supermarket is.  When the fruit is not in season, Primates eat meat.  A
lot of that meat (such as most bugs) is very high in fat.  The Europeans
who settled Iceland were not genetically predesposed to eat only meat,
yet according to their remains they thrived on it.  If someone wants to
go on an all meat and fat diet there are very few health risks involved.

IMHO to think that we can improve on millions of years of evolution with
a handful of supplement pills is arrogant.  Just as predicting the
weather through computer modeling will produce conflicting results using
the same data and computer each time the program is run, trying to
predict results of suplements in the much more complicated and more
chaotic biochemical reactions of any living thing is not something a
fractal mathmatician would bet on.

Then again, maybe it's just the heat (today was the 56th day above 100 F
in Dallas).

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander