From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:32:32 -0700
Richard Geller wrote:
> I had trouble digesting nuts too. It drove me crazy, I had a stomach
> ache all day from eating them, and colon problems, etc. I wanted to eat
> a lot of nuts but couldn't.
>
> Then I found that if I really made an effort to chew them very
> carefully, they're fine. Problem gone. Just my limited experience, for
> what it's worth.

I think that this is also worth mentioning in connection with a recent
assertion that the nutrients in nuts are poorly absorbed. It is my
understanding that fibre in foods does limit the absorption of both the
macro- and micro-nutrients contained in the foods. This is apparently
because the digestive process cannot completely penetrate the fibrous
network of the plant material to get at all of the "good stuff".

If this is correct, common sense suggests that thorough mastication
of plant foods should facilitate absorption of the nutrients.