From:
Kathy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:49:48 -0400
Hi all,

I was in the grocery store today (hunting and gathering some paper towel
:-) and at the checkout, couldn't help noticing what the woman ahead of me
was buying. She had two Swanson's frozen dinners - meatloaf with tomato
sauce, and salisbury steak, and a Stouffer's macaroni and cheese. She also
bought a bag of Dole salad greens. For dessert (or maybe an appetizer?),
she had a box of Pepcid AC - in the convenient economy size of 50!

It reminded me of how much heartburn I *don't* have when I eat low carb and
now Paleo. I also have noticed that I seem to be able to eat all the fat
and meat I want - also dressing with olive oil - with no gallbladder pain
at all. Yet if I "cheat" and have a stretch where I eat refined carbs,
sugar, ice cream, etc., I'll get that telltale pain under my right shoulder
blade as well as an annoying hollow "hunger" feeling up in the center under
my ribs. I recently had a mild bout when I got some free (I complained
about something at one of the grocery stores, so they gave me a freebie)
Friendly's Cherry-Choco Landslide ice cream. After having some for dessert
two days in a row, I had a lot of discomfort. Fortunately, it only lasted a
couple of hours and wasn't too bad, but it served as a reminder that I'm
much happier when I'm on the straight and narrow.

Gallbladder is traditionally thought to be related to large meals rich in
fat, but the culprit seems to me to be junk carbs (not carbs from fruit and
such). Has anyone else noticed this? I haven't seen much mention of
gallbladder disease in my Paleo readings.

Kathy Partridge
mailto:[log in to unmask]