From:
Molly NiDana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:39:21 +0800
> Where do you get uncured, no sugar bacon?
>
> I looked at Safeway and everything is cured with sugar(all the bacon). And I
> do not know of a butcher around here, will have to search the yellow pages.

Moira, (or anyone else, for that matter) if you have an Asian,
Latino or African-American population in your area, then there are
butchers and meat vendors that cater to those eating tastes, and
pretty much all of them I've tried have uncured bacon. It's most
commonly called "pork side" around here, and is sitting in the
case unsliced, with the rind (skin) on. I just ask them to slice
it, or now, since I also bought a meat slicer, do it myself.  It
seems to work better if partially frozen (about an hour in my
freezer), and you need to take the rind off with a sharp knife
(stick?) first. An amazing side benefit, it costs me literally 1/2
what the low-sodium, no sugar, cured bacon costs me at Safeway.

Molly NiDana