NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:24:56 -0600
My four year old has symptoms described by others with skin contact or
after consuming small amounts of milk derived products.  When she was
four months old we attempted to give her a bottle of breast milk.  She
would not take it.  We were working toward supplementing with formula
when she was at daycare.  The first time she had formula (SMA) she
barely got enough on from a spoon to cover her tongue.   She had hives,
crying, vomiting, sneezing, swollen face, etc.  After we called the
doctor, we changed to soy milk.  She has since been diagnosed with milk
allergy.

I have never been a big milk drinker and what I consumed during
pregnancy was probably very minor compared to most people.  Though now
that I know milk is in everything, I consumed enough to make a
difference.  I suspect that my daughter was given a bottle in the
hospital, even though I expressly said NO BOTTLES, as did my doctors.  I
never found out the truth about this.

Elizabeth has only had this one really bad reaction even though her RAST
test says she is a level III.  We are extremely careful and have only
had to deal with fewer than ten reactions that were resolved with
Benadryl.  We've never had to use her Epi-Pen, Jr.

On the other hand, my first child experienced the same in utero diet and
has no symptoms regarding milk allergy, or any other medical problems.

Good luck to you!! :)