AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Kleindienst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 15:05:53 +0000
I am responding from SPringfield Technical Community College which is
an inner city community college with a total enrollment of 5,000+
students.  Many of the service questions you raise are addressed on
this campus by our Disability Services office which is fortunately
located in the same building as the library.   This office offers
pc enhanced workstations - text readers, screen enlargement,
braille conversion software, specialized keyboards, speech ID
software.  I'm not familiar with all the product names, but I know
that everything was very carefully chosen and evaluated  before
implementation.
Now to try and answer your questions.
1.  No.  We do what we can and refer to DA office.  We do collect
books on tape and close captioned videos.  We have a decoder
available for CC videos.  We also have a cassette player that can be
used with Recordings for the Blind tapes.  In addition we have a
MagnaCam hand held magnifying camera for visually impaired, but this
is not very satisfactory.  The AV dept is open 8am to 5pm and most of
this equipment is available only at AV.
2.  No.  Refer to DA office.
3.  No.  Refer to DA office.
4.  Don't believe so.
5.  No.
6.  Not at the moment.

We are planning an electronic classroom and part of the design will
include at least one workstation that will meet ADA requirements.
This system would be available to patrons as long as no class was
scheduled.  It will also be located near the reference/information
desk.

We are part of a consortium that has an RFP out for a new OPAC
vendor/system.  It is expected that any new system would be ADA
compliant.  Our electronic services staff person working on making
our library web page accessible.

Hope this information helps some.  i think we are all struggling with
these issues.
Lynn Kleindienst
STCC Library
One Armory Sq