AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kumapayi, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:03:41 -0600
Tuesday, January 11, 2000

 Britain lauds Nigeria's regional role, invites Obasanjo

From Emeka Nwankpa and Arthur Obayuwana (Abuja)

NIGERIA has been lauded for what the visiting British Foreign Office
Minister Mr. Peter Hain, yesterday described as its "leading and heroic
role" in helping to end Sierra Leone's civil war.

  Hain said: "I am visiting Nigeria first on this trip because of its
influential and pivotal role in Africa and on the world stage... I look
forward to Nigeria becoming the African superpower that it should be, and
taking its place in the African renaissance."

  A statement from the British High Commission said Hain told President
Olusegun Obasanjo that: "Nigeria's leading and heroic role in (the West
African intervention force) ECOMOG to bring peace to Sierra Leone is widely
responsible for ending the eight years of bestial conflict."

  Nigerian troops formed the bulk of the ECOMOG force that restored Sierra
Leone's elected President Ahmed Tejan Kabbah to power in March 1998 and
have stayed on to ensure security, pending implementation of a peace deal
reached in July, 1999.

  Hain, a minister of state, said Prime Minister Tony Blair had formally
invited President Obasanjo to visit Britain. The visit is to afford both
leaders opportunities to work out plans for a Britain-Nigeria bilateral
forum.

  "I would envisage that our governments get together formally at least once
a year at senior ministerial level, to discuss issues such as foreign policy
and conflict prevention, defence, industry, trade and health. I see this as
a partnership of equals," the minister said.

  Hain also met Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Foreign Minister Sule
Lamido to discuss issues of debt, economic reform and Sierra Leone. A
British delegation of financial experts is expected in the country today.

  "This is make-or-break times for Nigeria. Britain backs success in Africa
and we stand ready to provide technical and practical assistance to help
Nigeria achieve its goals," Hain said.

  The minister said Nigeria would be the second after South Africa, with
which Britain was working out a bilateral forum, stressing that the country
was fast achieving results in its anti-corruption crusade.

  Hain added that the forum, which should meet once every year at senior
ministerial level, would discuss issues such as foreign policy, conflict
prevention, defence, industry, trade and health.

  Under a new policy on cooperation with African countries, Hain said
Britain would only support nations that showed readiness to succeed, adding:
"We stand ready to provide technical and practical assistance to Nigeria and
all other countries that show a willingness to succeed."

  On his visit to the Niger Delta today, Hain said it was necessitated by
the British Government's desire to "encourage greater company/community
relations."

  Besides, the British Government has concluded arrangements to assist in
carrying out environmental assessment as well as training of the local
people to make them more useful to the society, the minister said.

  A major Anglo-Dutch company, Shell Petroleum Development Company, has been
in the centre of the crisis in the Niger Delta region.