VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 00:58:38 -0500
My big problem is, if I may complain, that I am not interested in
computers.

I read the postings on this list and they are so full of insider
terminology and references that it goes by in a blur and I don't know what
to do.

I am lterate and I want access to text information. Why should it be that,
just because I am also blind, I have to learn additional skills that seem
to be as complex as if I decided to be a NASA engineer?

I hardly spend any time surfing the web because it is often a frustrating
ordeal and I can't understand what everybody is giddy about.

I'm thinking of going to grad school and I think that being able to use
the internet will be important. But it's not fun, it's not easy and I
doubt that I have the energy and interest to gather the information
necessary.

It seems that if computers were cars, sighted users would only need to
know how to turn the ignition, steer, shift gears, brake, accellerate and
fill it up with gas. But blind people have to learn how to become
mechanics as well. It makes me want to stick to the bus or walk.

Is there any hope for a blind computer user who has little interest in
studying computers?

Peter Seymour