Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Max A. Lupton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:37:12 -0400
I believe most power supply fans blow out on the theory that the chips on
the boards are more sensitive to heat than the regulators and rectifiers in
the power supply (not to mention more expensive).

If you can get the new fan on roughly the opposite corner of the case make
it blow in so it will work in series with your present power supply fan
creating a nice wind tunnel effect in the case.  Then you can get some
TURBO stickers for your PC and you're all set ;-).

If you are forced to mount the fans right next to each other they should
blow the same direction or you will just short circuit the air path.
Another tip is to make sure you buy a fan rated for the power source you
intend to use.  12V DC is common and available on one of the accessory
power connectors.  You can even find fans with four prong pass through PC
power supply connectors for easy installation, that is until you try to
screw it to the case.  My advice would be to purchase some double sided
sticky tape (the kind with a foam core, Radio Shack is one source) and cut
the strips so you can seal the fan frame to wherever you find vent holes.
The foam makes it easy to stick to surfaces that not perfectly flat and
smooth and it isn't too difficult to remove.  Stay cool,

Max L.

                                  -----
>       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**
>        Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]> or Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**