Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 21:36:57 -0600
Hello again Mahesh,
Can we try one more time?

I did not take a position on calcium supplements. I articulated the
position that calcium metabolism error is at work in many cases of kidney
stones. It is difficult to imagine a case of calcium oxalate deposits in
the urinary tract without problems with calcium metabolism.

Now, to the issue of citations:
You speak at great length about a Harvard study, but you don't give
pertinent information that would allow a person to go to that source, and
check your interpretation of it.

Your repetitions that there is a 33% greater risk of kidney disease among
those eating more animal protein may reflect increased milk consumption.
That finding would be entirely consistent with the paleodiet perspective.
The peptides which result from the pepsin digests of dairy products can act
as neurotransmitters, and as hormonal messengers. It is not difficult to
imagine that they could interfere with calcium metabolism.

I hope that those folks from Harvard who reported this finding were a
little more specific about the source of dietary animal protein. Do you see
my point? If you had offered the citation, I could read the source material
and we could be discussing the findings of the Harvard study...... not some
aparently arbitrary statistic tied to some vague source of dietary proteins.

Mahesh, if you want to attack ideas, please do so citing your sources. I
would be thrilled to explore your position, consulting your sources, and
perhaps we could both learn something from the process. After consulting
your sources, we may then consider whether the reports have been through
the peer review process, whether there are any statistical or
methodological errors, and whether the protein from dairy products was
differentiated from protein from meats, etc.

Thank you,
Ron Hoggan