From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 19:33:26 -0700

status, I received a generous packet of information from the Tabasco
company.  I have to commend them for the care and thoroughness of their
response.

According to the material they provided, which included copies of lab
reports and copies of signed letters from their suppliers, their products
have mostly vinegar content. The vinegar is made from a distilled
alcohol.  Although the alcohol comes from grain sources (possibly
including wheat) originally, the company  represents that distillation
removes all the protein and confirms this by testing -- no gluten can be
detected with normal tests.

They admit that these tests have a detection limit --  a very, very, very
 low one, but still a limit.  They suggest that anyone who has a concern
about ultra-minute amounts that could conceivably exist below that limit
consult their doctor for advice.

I personally avoid all grain source products altogether. However, those
of a more moderate bent may wish to consider the info they provide.

The care and detail they put into their response is wonderful and, IMHO,
deserves to be rewarded.  I wish we could get other companies to put one
tenth of the effort and care into their consideration of our concerns
that Tabasco obviously has!!!   If I don't buy the stuff for myself, I
will certainly buy it as gifts for friends!