From:
Daniel Winters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:57:08 +0100

Dear listmates,
Here is another much delayed summary.  A very big thanks to everyone who
provided me with information.  I'm sorry it takes me so long to do these
summaries.  This is my e-mail address at my job and sometimes it's hard to
find the time. I hope to finish other summaries later today.
I have no financial or other interest in any of the companies producing
these medications.

Re Claritin:

They have a webpage, www.claritin.com.  One person wrote that they have
very detailed product information.

- Claritin Reditabs are GF and lactose free, but other varieties are not
lactose free.

- Claritin is GF, but not lactose free.

Re Allegra:

Everyone who responded said that it is GF in the US.
One person had verified this by phone.
One person wrote that it is GF, but not lactose free.
One person wrote that it is less likely to cause drowsiness than Claritin.

Re antihistamines:

One person suggested taking another antihistamine called Zyrtec, which they
verified with the company as being GF.

I also received the following re antihistamines.

I have checked on a product manufactured by Melaleuca, Inc.  It is called
Counteract, works great and is gluten free.  However, since you seem to
have a severe allergy problem, you could really benefit from another
product they have, called Pro-Vex.  I began taking it for another reason,
and was pleasantly surprised when my allergy symptoms almost totally
disappeared.  I had read information that said it would help with allergic
anything like it before.  It is a natural supplement, pure, no gluten, no
side effects, and a lot of other health benefits.  It is also an
antioxident, which I think is very important for anyone with compromised
health to take.

website: http://www.melaleuca.com

As for me, I tried taking the US Allegra caplets that I picked up on my
last trip home with no ill effects.  However, they did nothing to help my
allergy symptoms.  After recent allergy testing I tested positive for mold,
which turned out to be a major problem in my apartment.  I signed a
contract 2 days ago for a different apartment.  I hope that  some of my
symptoms will calm down after the move.  It's a strange situation as my
girlfriend has developed the same allergic symptoms as me, just less severe
and has  tested positive for the same allergy.  But that topic is off-list.

Thanks again,

Dan in Warsaw