From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:10:50 -0600

Hi A.G.Franklyn,
In a post to the celiac list,   Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:17:00 -0500, you said:

In a posting someone stated that magnesium and calcium compete for
absorption. Actually, you should always take them together because your
body needs the magnesium to absorb the calcium. You also need vitamin D
to absorb calcium. That's why there are so many combimation products on
the market that contain a combination of all three, ie. (calcium,
magnesium & vitamin D). They do not compete with one another.
<<<<

While one could argue a semantic issue here, and I think my choice of the
term "compete" was not a good choice, your post got me questioning my
position.

I originally encountered the notion that calcium could block magnesium
absorption in a post from Dr. Loren Cordain of the University of Colorado,
August 14, 1997. With his permission, I submitted the following post to the
celiac list, Sept. 7, 1997:

On another list, Loren Cordain, Ph. D. pointed out that:

"Ironically, high calcium
diets may have a deleterious effect upon bone mineralization because of
their hypomagnesic effect.   Mg deficiency is a known cause of
hypocalcemia (5).   The resultant hypocalcemia stems from PTH
unresponsiveness (6), since the effects of PTH are magnesium dependent(7)."

I will now point out that celiac disease is often associated with
parathyroid abnormalities.

In a later statement from the same post, Dr. Cordain said:

 "A recent review article (9) showed
that post-menopausal women given magnesium supplements over a 2 yr
period had a significant increase in their bone mineral density, whereas
meta-analyses of calcium supplementation and bone mineral density have been
equivocal."