From:
Doug & Glenda Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:28:30 -0500

Thanks to all Listmates who responded to my request for restaurants
while visiting in Savannah. We were fortunate to stay in a small suite,
so I ate many meals "in" with purchased foods and goodies from home. To
summarize responses:

    Elizabeth's on 37th was highly recommended as celiac-friendly and
eager to please.
    River Street, with all its fresh seafood was recommended.....with a
caution toward all those wonderful favorites (Mrs. Wilkes, etc.) with
wonderful, awful, gluten-filled foods!!!
    Melon Bluff & Palmyra Plantation, about 15 miles outside town was
recommended.
    Brighter Days, the area's largest health food store was mentioned,
as well.
    Our favorite from years ago, The Boar's Head on River Street, was
closed for brief renovations....our loss!!

    We highlighted our trip with a wonderful evening at Seasons in the
City Market. Our young waiter was eager to please, seemed to understand
the problem immediately (actually he guided the chefs in my meal
preparation), and was very vigilant. I enjoyed grilled grouper (without
the pecan coating), red pepper risotto, and a medley of perfectly
steamed fresh vegetables. Our waiter took my bread plate away and
offered to remove the basket once my husband was served (not necessary:
I was busily anticipating this lucious meal!!). Finally, the waiter
valiantly offered fresh fruit for dessert. A great hassle-free
gluten-free meal in a beautiful setting!!!

    Thanks to you all for your valuable assistance, moral support, and
informative guidance.

Good Health & Good Eating!!
Glenda Tyler, Virginia Beach, VA