From:
Debbie Resch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:01:44 -0400

Dear ListMates:

It is truely a miracle.  My first real success with gf bread after 3 years
of trying.  I mean...it's really good and even my non-gf family members
will eat it.  I also have another terrific dessert recipe which I will
include.  The bread recipes come from the Welbuilt Recipe Booklet.  I just
figure that if I can do it, anyone can so even if you are discouraged with
breadmaking, give these a try.  They seem to have less ingredients and
steps then some of the gf bread recipes and so are a little less
overwhelming.   As for the dessert...it is very easy, good for this time of
year and everyone will love it.

On another note, I recently got a new  teaching job and will be moving to
the Princeton, New Jersey area.  I would like to hear from any Celiacs in
that area to get advice regarding shopping, eatting out, support groups,
etc.  It  isn't a giant move for me because I now live on the other side of
the sate at the Jersey Shore but I have always lived here, know where
everything is  and so it is a bit scarey and I could use some support in
these areas.

Bread recipes are for a 1 pound loaf - made in a Welbilt Bread Machine,
model ABM2100

GLUTEN FREE CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD
Dry Ingredients
   1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
   1 1/2 cups white rice flour
   3/4 cups brown rice flour
   1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
   1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
   1 teaspoon salt
   2 tablespoons granulated sugar
   1 teaspoon cinnamon
   1/2 cup raisins
   1/4 teaspoon lecithin (says optional but I used it)

Liquid Ingredients
   2 large eggs, lightly beaten
   3 tablespoons margarine, melted
   1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
   1 cup water (reserve 2 tablespoons)
        use the reserved water to add in the bread machine if the mix looks too
        dry don't add it all at once, do about a teaspoon at a time until you
        think the consistency looks ok)

Ingredient Prep.

This was my own idea but I lightly sprayed the bread pan with nonstick
spray such as PAM before I began putting in the ingredients.

        Measure dry ingredients into a medium-size bowl.  Stirl well or whisk
together thoroughly.  Carefully place into Bread Machine pan.  Place eggs
in bowl and beat lightly.  Add the rest of the liguid ingredients.  Stir
together and carefully pour over the dry ingredients in the Bread Machine
pan.  All ingredients must be at room temperature.

        Press SELECT for LIGHT
        Press START .  Bread will be ready in 2 hours and 50 minutes.
        After baking, press STOP/RESET.  Remove bread and cool on a rack.

GLUTEN-FREE "MOCK" LIGHT RYE BREAD

Dry Ingredients
   1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
   1 1/2 cups white rice flour
   2/3 cup brown rice flour
   1 teaspoon salt
   3 tablespoons light brown sugar (I used Dominos granulated)
   2 teaspoons xanthan gum
   1 tablespoon caraway seeds
   1/3 cup nonfat dry milk or 1/4 cup powdered milk substitute
   1/4 teaspoon lecithin

Liquid Ingredients
   2 large eggs, lightly beaten
   3 tablespoons margarine, melted
   1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
   1 tablespoon molasses
[...]

------
BLUEBERRY PEACH CRISP

1 cup flour
        (I used whatever I had - once I used just white rice, another time the
        gf mix - it made no difference)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 sups fresh blueberries (I used frozen and just let them thaw a little)
3 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter

I would think you could be creative and use different fruits but you may
have to alter the sugar and spices accordingly.  The beauty of this recipe
is how easy the topping is to make and how well it comes out.

Combine flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl.
 Stir in unbeaten egg.  Mix with fork until crumbly.  Place fruit in a
2-quart buttered baking dish.  Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar and
cinnamon.

Sprinkle with crumbled topping.  Drizzle melted butter over topping and
bake at 375 degrees for approx. 35 - 40 minutes or until top is well
browned.

Recipe says it serves 6 but I could finish this off myself ...it's that
good!  Try it with frozen yogurt or ice cream, whipped cream, etc.