VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stu Turk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:19:40 -0400
> From: Anna Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
    [some text deleted]

> 2. Once it has locked up, there is no recourse that I know of except to
> shut off the computer, crashing it.

    All the newer computers that I've seen have a Reset button on the case
that will cold boot the computer without shutting off the power to the hard
drive.  This is much safer than shutting it off.

> 3.  Following a crash, windows 95 will not wake up until you run
SCANDISK.
> Fifteen or twenty seconds into the boot process the disk will stop
spinning
> and a message appears on the screen saying something like'
>
> 'windows was not properly shut down; some files may be damaged.  Run
> scandisk...-  Unless you have a screen reader running in DOS, already

    I don't use a speech program and am hampered by the fact that in the
year and a half I've been running Win95 I've only had two or three
unexpected lockups.  I believe, however, that if you press Alt-Ctrl-Del you
will get a box that allows you to shut down the locked program. I assume
that there is no way for you to read this box but next time you get a JFW
lockup, you might try to have a sighed person read the screen to you and
memorize the program shutdown steps. Unlike in DOS, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
warm boot the computer in Win95.  From what I can remember of the few
lockups I've had, if you can get just the locked program to shut down and
then shut down all other programs in the normal way (usually with Alt-F4)
you can restart (i.e. warm boot) the computer from the start button without
damaging any of the files Win95 has open and come back up without ScanDisk
running.

Stu Turk,  Pittsburgh PA