VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 06:40:07 -0700
This article on audio description is so far out there as to be ridiculous
in my opinion.  The NFB basic philosophy seems to be that if you don't
agree with what we say then you need some "adjustment-to-blindness"
training.  This borders on a cult mentality in my opinion.

I'm 31-years-old, have never had my mentality "adjusted to blindness" as
the NFB would call it but figure I'm doing fairly well in the world.  And
you know what, I enjoy audio described movies and plays.

The article assumes several facts that are simply not true.  It talks about
adding the cost of audio description into theater tickets and this making
it more expensive.  Everyplace that I know that does audio description
doesn't charge a penny more for the tickets to an audio described version
of the play.  The article implies that if the trend of audio description
continues people that are blind will get the idea that they can't operate
in the world without audio describers to manage employees in the workplace.
 Talk about reaching and complete ridiculousness.

This article is the last straw for me.  I'm convinced that the NFB
philosophy is simply out to lunch.  I mean a few years ago they wrote an
article in the same Braille Monitor where old Ken Jernigan (sorry I won't
call him doctor when his doctorate is only an honary degree) basically said
that a guide dog user was subjecting him or herself to a status of second
class citizen.  Anyone who doesn't believe me can go to http://www.nfb.org
and read the October 1995 issue of the Braille Monitor.  While you are at
it, ask yourself why old Ken decided to edit that particular issue,
something he hadn't done for years, if he didn't want his attitude to be
basic NFB doctrine.

If the NFB doesn't want different treatment for folks that are blind, why
do they not demand that the second tax excemption for people that are blind
be removed.  Why do they support the Randolph-Sheperd vending program, a
monopoly for the blind if I've ever heard of one.  Why are they all over
Microsoft to do more to make Windows accessible.  An "adjusted" blind
person can simply ask a friend to read the computer screen.

You can't have it both ways yet that's exactly how the NFB, an organization
that's out to lunch in my opinion, plays too many issues.