VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dane Trethowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:36:00 +1000
Greetings!

Was most interested in the brochure from the NFB with regards to a Newsline
service for the states.

In Melbourne Australia the Association for the Blind has been running such
a service for over 5 years now, they use volunteer readers (yep those of
the human kind) to read the herald/sun etc every morning between 6 and 10.
Registered users can call the service and use a touchtone telephone to
select articles of interest etc.  I believe that the Royal Victorian
Institute for the Blind in Melbourne has such a service for the Age
Newspaper but I do not know all that much about it so I prefer not to comment.

Cheers

Have a restful weekend and all the best from Dane in the land of kangaroos,
4 and 20 pies, lamingtons, damper  and          vegemite.