VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamal Mazrui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 07:28:24 -0700
Screen readers that provide both DOS and Windows access

My understanding is that ASAW does not provide speech access to DOS
applications itself, but works well with the DOS screen reader,ASAP by
the same company.  Window Bridge is the only product I know that provides
a true DOS screen reader as part of the same package as its
Windows screen reader.  It seems that the DOS access in JAWS for Windows
is generally only useful for entering commands at the DOS prompt.
It is not intelligent and configurable enough to use for efficient
access to sophisticated DOS applications.  This seems to be the
consensus on the JFW list.

Regards,
Jamal

---- Original Message Follows -----

   >Below is feedback from Kevin Doucet, a blind Alabama vendor, about
   >an article in newsletter 16 that was released online a few days ago.
   >It should be noted that part of Kevin's clarification was already
   >discussed here before anyone received it.  This is the part
   >regarding a dos screen reader in addition to the dos screen reader
   >in jfw for Windows 95.  the limitations of that approach have
   >already been discussed in this forum. Keep in mind that Dave's
   >article were his own impressions on the developing state of
   >technology access today and and that of one of the largest
   >gatherings in the world on technology access for people with
   >disabilities. kelly
   >Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 16:22:01 -0500 (CDT)
   >To whom it may concern:
   >I agree with the purpose of this news letter your business is doing
   >but as your mission statement mentiones, you are to help blind
   >computer users keep up to date with the latest technology.
   >In the article, CLOSING THE GAP, 1997
   >by David Porter, David advised computer users to purchase a system
   >with windows 95 and JAWS for windows, so as to avoid the necessity
   >for a dos screen reader.  While correct, JAWS is not the only
   >windows 95 screen reader to allow for this.  ASAW by Lary Skutchan,
   >(http://www.microtalk.com), also offers this with windows 95.
   >I believe all people should have all the facts to allow for an
   >educated conclusion and I hope to see more information from this
   >business of yours but please get this message to Mr. Porter so as
   >to encourage him to offer a less biased oppenion.  After all, when
   >you are in a position to reach many, you realy should give the best
   >information available, not just the best oppenion available.
   >Thanks.
   >Kevin
   >the original cajun
   >http://www.the-link.net/~kdoucet/
   >Cogito ergo loon.  (I think, therefore I'm crazy)

Net-Tamer V 1.09.2  - Registered

--tcpsmtp040080199806054036

QzpcaW50ZXJuZXQNC==

--tcpsmtp040080199806059021--