From:
Aaron Sugarman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:35:10 EDT

<< Certainly intriguing, but I'd be looking for a little more evidence. >>

Of course ;), but it's happened to many people I know who've gone raw, and the
thousands and thousands before us.  It's a remarkable change.  Life altering.
There are many books on raw food diets, unfortunately many of them encourage
veganism as there's that resistance to raw meat.

It might be a little over-speculative, but there's a book, We Want To Live, by
Aaojanus Vonderplanitz, you might want to check out.  Not much on info, more
stories and how to eat.

<<Can you point me to this research?>>

See the previous post on Price-Pottenger, or just go to

http://www.price-pottenger.org/PPNF_Org_Info/ppnf1.html

In research at George Washington University, when 50 grams of raw starch was
given to patients, blood sugar only rose 1 mg in 1/2 hour before it began to
decrease.  With cooked starch blood sugar went up 56 mg in 1/2 hour and then
an average 51 mg drop after an hour.

Dr Howell wrote a famous book on Enzyme Nutrition in the late 40's available
at the above site for a few bucks.

Dr Meyer at Chicago's Michael Reese Hospital found that as one ages their
enyzme saliva content decreases so that a 27 year old has twice as many
enzymes as a 77 year old.  A lower enzyme content is also found in people with
diseases.  As cooked food requires the body to produce more enzymes for
digestion, you can imagine how that causes premature aging...

Dr Kollath of the Karolinska Hospital in Stockhold found that when animals
were put on a cooked diet similar to the western diet, initially they seemed
ok, then they developed degenerative disease at an earlier rate.  Dr.
Pottenger found the same several decades ago in his famous experiments with
cats.  After 3 or 4 generations on a cooked diet, the cats were infertile.  It
took the children of the second generation cats returned to raw foods to
restore the health of the cats over several generations.

Peter Rothchild, PhD has found in a double blind study that there was a 70-90%
increase in blood levels of serum glutathione peroxidase after giving these
people oral wheat sprout concentrates.  This means that the enzymes in the
sprouts were absorbed through the digestive tract.

One study reported in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that 70% of
plant amylase is active in the small intestine after it was ingested orally.

I imagine there's a lot if you want to research it.

Enzymes are mythology to me, I just know in my self what my body desires most
and what it thrives on and what makes it overwork.  I could only heal and
develop physically and mentally so far on cooked foods, and then the only way
for me to continue was to go raw.  It came from my body, and then I got an
intellectual understanding for it from reading books.  The understanding
doesn't matter, the reality it is how it effected me.

Just a little cooked food is stressful to my system.  I imagine I had/have a
very weak pancreas.

Hope this helps.

Aaron