From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:56:45 -0400
>Not having read the book, and only having read anthropology books,

The Book is the FAQ for this list.

> will
>someone tell me what the Paleodiet consists of, exactly, and that way I can
>know what I can and cannot talk about.

exactly:
NO dairy, NO grains, NO legumes, NO potatoes, NO vegetable oils, NO sugar
except honey or what occurs naturally in fruit.
What's allowed is:
everything else! like meat/fish/poultry (the opposite of being veg - if it
has a face, you can eat it!), fruits, nuts, olive oil (since olives are
fruit), vegetables that would be edible in their raw state.
You can cook the food or eat it raw.  personal preference rules here.

> For example, I like to eat raw fish,
>and raw eggs, and sometimes, raw meat, and raw honey, in addition to fruits,
>nuts, veggies, and occasional veggie juice (I can see where that doesn't fit
>in).

this stuff is all paleo.

>Does Paleodiet include wild herbs?

yes.

> Roots, tubers, honey, and other random
>foods our ancestors might have eaten in their diet?

yes, so long as you don't include potatoes in with tubers.  wild potatoes
are toxic, and paleo people wouldn't have been eating them.

> Nuts, seeds, etc, like
>the !Kung of Africa (hope I remembered right) subsist on in addition to meat.

all this is paleo.  just don't consider peanuts and cashews to be nuts,
they're not (see ongoing nut thread for this topic)

>Is baked meatloaf Paleo-food??

yes, if you only use paleo-ingredients.  like, obviously, no bread crumbs.

> And if so, what exactly is/was the Paleo-diet,
>in what percentages meat vs veggie?

no one is sure of this, the meat/plant ratio.  it most likely depends on
where the paleo ancestors lived. a tropical climate might lend itself more
to fruits, whereas a temperate climate would be more seasonsal, like fruits
in the summer, nuts in the fall, meat all winter.  in colder climates, they
might have relied more exclusively on meat.

JoAnn.