NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:12:56 -0500
Hello.  I am new to this list and am curious if anyone has children with eczema related to milk allergies.

My daughter is now 4 and has had eczema since she was about 3 months old.  She was breastfed exclusively for her first 6 months.  Her eczema got considerably worse right around her first birthday, which is when I introduced cow's milk (although she started on yogurt before her birthday).  At that time, I made the association of a milk allergy causing the eczema, but I was dismissed by her doctor, and couldn't find much supporting literature to back up my position.  So, she has been living a painful and itchy life for the past 3 1/2 years.

My son, who will turn 1 on Saturday, has now developed eczema.  It first appeared at 3 months of age and was quite severe on his cheeks.  At that time, I made a decision to completely cut all dairy products out of my diet, as I was breastfeeding him.  His eczema cleared up within 2 days (!!!) and did not come back until he really began to eat solids a lot, about 3 months ago.  Now, his poor arms are getting pretty bad, and his legs are beginning to show some symptoms.

I have never fed my son any milk, although I am breastfeeding him still and I occasionally have milk-containing products.  Both of my children are very good eaters, and I was horrified to find out just how many of the foods that they eat contain milk products! So much for that soy cheese!

My daughter just finished up allergy testing (skin test) and she didn't show any allergies to milk in the tests.  However, I still feel that milk is the culprit, after the experience I had with my son's eczema immediately dissappearing when I stopped drinking milk.  It seems to be too much of a coincidence.

Sorry for my longwindedness.  I am just searching for answers that the medical community cannot or will not give me.  Any help or advice that you have would be appreciated.

By the way, we went on a milk-free shopping spree yesterday, and all foods containing ANY milk products are strictly off-limits until proven otherwise safe.

Amy Mills