NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:53:57 -0700
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:00:07 +0100 "Montgomery, Megan"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> My kids will never be "challenged", I'll try them on a little  mouthful
> now and then and see what happens, if nothing happens, it'll be  slowly
> increased til either something does or they are eating normally.

Actually, that is how I was told to do a challenge since things are dose
dependent.  Start with a touch of yogurt on the tip of a spoon and work
up to full spoon over days.  This is once you already know of a
sensitivity.

For elimination and challenge to see if something was causing a reaction,
it was recommended to me to eliminate something for a week or so, then
binge on it.  Obviously, this is only with interlance type reactions that
are not blatant.  I recently did this with my 10 mo old.  We weren't
quite sure about dairy and he seemed to always have a runny nose.  I
stopped the small amounts of dairy "cheating" that I was doing and he
seemed to clear up.  I binged for a couple of nights with cheese (I felt
horrible in the AM myself being intolerant but wasn't going to give him
anything directly).  Viola!  runny nose and congestion again.

Kathy P.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.