NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:12:11 -0800
> G. R. Searle's Demelen did not contain lactose last
time =

> I checked.

Thank you, I'll check into this one.I am thinking
about writing the Rx companies, maybe they know
something I don't.

> However, tiny quantities of medicinal-grade pure
lactose =

> would be unlikely to give you the symptoms you
mention. =

> You may be responding to the hormones =
>
> or some other problem entirely.

Oh- If only ... <sigh>.

I have had the same experience with non-bcp meds
(both Rx & over the counter) and argue with the
pharmacist about it every time I pick a new Rx up
(grrrr).  For some reason I have to remind them that
they sold me an epi-pen because I have a food ALLERGY
not LI (double grrrr - they miss the point every time).

I wish that it were something else.  Unfortunately, my
reactions have escalated from the severe eczema
and mood swings I had as a child to anaphylactic now.
My reactions now are so bad that 8 salt & vinegar
potato chips (who'd have guessed they'd put milk
in that?) sent me into a really bad fit (sweats,
closing throat, shortness of breath, reduction of
vision & itchy lips & tongue, etc.). Unfortunately,
my epi-pen was at home, & I had to rely on oral
anti-histamines to settle me down (very frightening).
 It took forever, & I have never been so scared.  I
cannot even tolerate goat/sheep products (pout).

At least there is Tofutti!!!!

Thanks again for the info on Demelen,  I posted a
similar response to the board, but wanted to thank
you personally.

Manda