NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeane Schoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:30:32 PDT
>I was diagnosed as LI three months ago after nearly a year of tests,
>doctors, etc. I've been diligently trying to eliminate all dairy from
my
>diet. I appreciate all of the helpful advice given on this list.
>
>I ate some Stella D'oro cookies (Angel Wings) yesterday and had a
pretty
>severe LI reaction. The cookies are marked U Pareve, so I'm a bit at a
>loss why.

I've reacted to the Stella D'oro cookies also-especially the mixed
cookie assortment. There's been some past discussion of this list that
many milk allergic people are unable to tolerate the Kosher Pareve baked
goods. (I also had problems after stocking up on treats at the Pareve
bakery.) I've heard that brown sugar is made by spraying molasses on
sugar with a lactose containing solution and always wondered if this is
the problem with the Kosher baked goods. I've made desserts at home
substituting molasses for brown sugar and tolerate those better.
(Although I've also read some molasses contains lactose so this may not
be the answer.)

This is my first time responding on this list-I glad to know I'm not the
only one who can't eat Stella D'oro cookies.

Jeane Schoen
Geneva, Illinois