NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jane Hulst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 23:00:21 +1300
>   One of the side effects of my milk allergies is an itchy eczema type
rash
> I get mainly behind both knees.  Hydro-cortisone creams help but I don't
> like their skin thinning side effects.  Any suggestions (either
> over-the-counter or prescription) as an alternative to them?

Hi Mark

I paid $300 for this advice for my daughter - and it certainly has given us
control over her eczema.  She has two kinds - the dry patches and the red
prickly kind and she gets it everywhere.  Hope it helps you - the key is
keep the skin moist with cream and not dry it with soap ...

1.  Don't ever use soap - use a soap substitute like emulsifying cream or
Pinetarsol

2.  Moisturise twice a day - we use Cetamacrogol with 10% glycerine
(prescribed by our dermatologist) or Cetaphil lotion.  (Every day - itchy
or not - repeat EVERY DAY)

3. If the skin is really dry or inflamed; then at night, after
moisturising, cover the area with plastic cling film and secure with a
crepe bandage (the plastic holds the cream on the skin and ensures it
penetrates).  I know it sounds weird, but it works ... we only had to do
this a couple of times at the beginning.

4. After moisturising: steroid cream (thinly) on red/angry/scaly patches
(we use Advantan which is Prednisone based) to calm them down.  (Once the
moisturisers kick in you
won't need the steroid very often - just for flare-ups.  It is OK to use
steroids for 3-5 days but then you need to rest the skin for 3-5 days.
Prolonged use can thin the skin making it more susceptible to injury and
thus further eczema).

5. Put chlorine bleach in the bath 2-3 times a week (or every day if eczema
is bad).  In New Zealand it is called Janola and we'd use 1 1/2 cups in a
bathtub of water.  This is to control bacterial skin colonisation which can
markedly aggravate the tendency to eczema.  Catherine also had two weeks of
oral antibiotics at the beginning - but hers was really bad at the time.

6. Gentle exposure to sunlight when you can. (15-30 minutes of midday
summer sunlight three times a week)

7. Encourage sea bathing - as often as possible.

8. Keep cool at night.

9.  Try not to scratch - it just makes it itchier.  Catherine had Feneghan
and Claratyne at first to dampen down her all-over itch.  Using
antihistamines regularly can help suppress eczema.

10.  You could also try Evening Primrose Oil (3gm a day).

11. Be careful about what fibres come into contact with your skin
(mechanical irritation) most commonly wool is a problem, but also scratchy
synthetic materials.  Direct contact should be avoided by using an inner
layer of soft cotton fabric.  Rubbing should also be avoided with clothing
that is loose fitting in areas prone to eczema.

The doctor said that even with the most consistent care sometimes it will
flare up - no knowing why, it just does - so don't beat yourself up.

Good luck
Jane
http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~ajhulst